Monday, April 6, 2015

Day 8 - 4/3/15

More importantly than anything right now, I want to commemorate my father.

I had a chance to scatter his ashes today and I am overwhelmed with emotions.  I remember everything that happened.  I remember so much.  I went through so much pain watching my father die.  I was close to him.  I lived close and I spent time with him.  I got to know my father so much, more as a friend than as a father.

Merle Smith is responsible for my love of classical music, jazz music, buddhism, tarot, British humor, strange films, and a plethora of other things that I barely think about, but are so much of who I am.

So I left the last of his earthly remains behind.  He has been in spirit for so long that I know this action was more for me than anyone else.  I needed to let go of that.  Those ashes were holding me down, keeping me from moving forward.  The ashes were like a monument for how  I haven't grieved the death of my father, a reminder that things weren't freaking done yet.  There was still more to accomplish before I can finally leave this behind.

My dad knitted, he did needlepoint (he actually did a huge rug that he modeled after a piece of Indian art).  He read a lot.  He read more than I could ever dream of reading.

he liked sports a lot, which I never shared with him.  If anything I think my absolute disinterest in anything sports-related is attributable to him ALWAYS watching sports!!!!!

And in the spirit of creativity, I continued.

I'm going to keep going on this.  I'm getting pretty good at the circles.







It's got holes and stuff and I'm sure I'm messin' somethin' up!

:)

We'll figure this out.  My teacher Stacey Trock promises me that this is easy!  EASY I TELLS YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment